We haven't helped ourselves any by seriously contemplating becoming homeowners-- a long saga for another day. We have learned loads in the last couple of weeks about financing and realtors and "the market". Whether this knowledge is useful now or needs to be shelved until after May... that still remains to be seen.
One item still to do is "register". Or decide not to register. Paul and I have found ourselves in an interesting debate about what it means to be adults with functioning households, with respectable jobs, and what a wedding gift registry means. The retailers haven't helped, in my opinion, either as they've created options for separate registries, a bride's and a groom's. To me, it's not a wedding registry then, as wedding implies the couple. Take the groom out of it, and I have no wedding. Just a pretty dress. Call me old-fashioned but the original purpose was to prepare the young couple for leaving their families homes and start a household together... not a bride's household and a groom's separate household.

Another thing that we've discussed is the determination between needs and wants. We, as a couple, do not need a Swiss ball for our household. I, Shannon, want a Swiss ball to... you know... do those weird ball exercises. Paul may surprise me, but I don't think he'd use the Swiss ball, really. Therefore it shouldn't go on the registry. But do we really need anything?
Perhaps if we get a house...
No comments:
Post a Comment